Wasps, these dreaded insects and often unwanted guests of our picnics and outdoor meals, are a real problem during the summer period. To get rid of these pests, there are several solutions, including the use of coffee grounds. So, are coffee grounds really effective at keeping wasps away? This article tells you all about this natural method.
What are coffee grounds?
Coffee grounds are the solid residue that remains after brewing coffee with a coffee maker or espresso machine. It is an organic matter composed mainly of the fine particles of ground coffee, rich in nutrients such as nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. This natural and ecological product has many virtues and can be used in various fields:
- As a natural fertilizer for plants,
- As a repellent against mosquitoes and other insects,
- As a deodorant to neutralize bad smells,
- As a skin exfoliant.
Why use coffee grounds against wasps?
While coffee grounds are known to repel mosquitoes and other insects, they are also effective in repelling wasps and bumblebees. Indeed, these insects are attracted by sweet smells and do not like strong smells like coffee. Moreover, burnt coffee grounds give off a thick smoke that is bothersome to waspswho then prefer to move away from the place where this substance is.
This natural method has several advantages:
- It is environmentally friendly and does not pollute the environment,
- It is economical, because coffee grounds are waste that is produced daily,
- It is safe for health, as it does not contain harmful chemicals.
How to use coffee grounds to repel wasps?
To enjoy the benefits of coffee grounds against wasps, just follow a few simple steps:
- Collect the coffee grounds after preparing your drink,
- Dry the coffee grounds on a paper towel or a plate for a few hours,
- Place the dry coffee grounds in a heatproof container, such as an earthenware pot or an empty tin can,
- Light the coffee grounds with a match or lighter and let it burn slowly,
- Place the container with the burnt coffee grounds near where you want the wasps to be kept away.
It’s important to note that this method should be used with care, as burning coffee grounds can cause sparks and, in some cases, a fire. So be sure to always keep an eye on the container and keep it away from flammable materials.
Natural alternatives to coffee grounds to repel wasps
Lemongrass is a plant with recognized repellent properties against insects, especially mosquitoes and wasps. You can plant lemongrass in your garden or near your windows to ward off these pests, or use lemongrass essential oil to diffuse or apply to the skin.
There are several types of wasp traps that you can make yourself using recycled materials:
- Wasp traps made from plastic bottles,
- Wasp traps made from jam jars,
- Wasp traps made from aluminum cans.
These traps usually work with a sweet bait, such as syrup or jam, which attracts wasps and prevents them from escaping.
Some essential oils have wasp-repelling properties, such as lemon eucalyptus, rose geranium or true lavender. You can use them in diffusion or application on the skin (diluted in a vegetable oil), or even mix them with water and spray this mixture around you to keep wasps away.
Coffee grounds are a natural and economical solution to keep wasps and other pests away from our outdoor spaces. However, it should be used with caution and certain precautions should be taken to avoid any risk of fire. In addition or as an alternative, other natural methods, such as citronella, wasp traps or essential oils, can also be effective in repelling these unwanted insects.