We have all been confronted at one time or another with clothes that give off a bad smell of perspiration despite washing. Those nasty smells can be caused by different reasons such as sweat, bacteria and even improper detergent. Fortunately, there are natural methods to effectively remove sweat odor from clothes. Find out in this article 4 simple and ecological tips to overcome these inconveniences.
1. Use baking soda to neutralize bad odors
THE baking soda is a natural chemical compound that has many virtues, including its ability to neutralize odors. To take advantage of its benefits, here is how to proceed:
- Mix two tablespoons of baking soda with a little water to create a paste.
- Apply this paste directly to areas of clothing where perspiration odors are found (often in the armpits).
- Leave on for 30 minutes to 1 hour, then rinse thoroughly with clean water.
- Machine wash your clothes as usual.
Baking soda is also useful for deodorizing shoes. Simply sprinkle it inside and leave on overnight. The next day, remove the excess by tapping or shaking the shoes.
2. Try Marseille soap for an effective and natural wash
THE Marseille’s soap is a natural and ecological product, made mainly from olive oil. It is very appreciated for its cleaning and stain removal power. Here’s how to use it to get the sweat smell out of clothes:
- Rub Marseille soap directly on wet or smelly areas of your clothes.
- Leave on for at least 30 minutes before rinsing off with cold water.
- Then proceed with the usual machine wash.
In addition to its cleaning properties, Marseille soap is an excellent natural fabric softener. Regular use of this product helps preserve the softness and suppleness of your clothes.
3. Use soda crystals to boost the action of your detergent
THE soda ash, also called sodium carbonate, are an ecological and economical alternative to chemical products. They have degreasing, deodorizing and stain-removing properties that can help you get rid of sweat odors on clothes. Here’s how to use them:
- Dilute a cup of soda crystals in a large volume of hot water.
- Soak your smelly clothes in this solution for 1-2 hours.
- Then rinse with clear water before washing in the washing machine.
Soda crystals are also effective in cleaning dirty surfaces and removing limescale deposits. You can therefore use them to regularly maintain your washing machine and optimize its operation.
4. Opt for a diluted dishwashing detergent for a soft and fragrant wash
Another natural trick to get rid of sweat odor from clothes is to use a mild and ecological dishwashing liquid, such as that made from lemon essential oil. This method is particularly suitable for delicate or brightly colored textiles. For that :
- Mix a tablespoon of dishwashing liquid with a liter of warm water.
- Soak your clothes in this solution for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water to remove all soap residue.
- Let your clothes dry in the open air, if possible outdoors to take advantage of the benefits of the sun and the wind.
To effectively and naturally eliminate perspiration odors on your clothes, don’t hesitate to try these four tips: baking soda, Marseille soap, soda crystals and dishwashing detergent. These ecological and economical solutions will help you preserve the quality of your textiles while respecting the environment.