White shoes are popular in fashion trends, but they can quickly lose their shine and fall victim to stains or dirt. Luckily, there are tips for cleaning and caring for your shoes so they look like new again.
Preparing your shoes for cleaning
Before starting the cleaning process, it is essential to prepare your shoes. Here are some steps to follow:
- Remove excess dirt by gently tapping the soles together and lightly brushing the surface with a soft bristle brush.
- Remove the laces and set them aside. They can be washed separately, for example in a laundry net in the washing machine.
- If your shoes have removable inserts, remove those as well and wash them separately.
Cleaning with common household products
Several products in your home can be used to effectively clean your white shoes. Here are some examples :
Toothpaste can help clean stubborn stains. Apply a small amount of non-gel toothpaste to a used toothbrush and gently scrub the stained areas. Let sit for a few minutes before wiping with a damp cloth.
Mix baking soda with water to create a thick paste. Apply this paste to the stains using a toothbrush or cloth, then let it dry for about 30 minutes. Once the paste is dry, brush it gently to remove residue and wipe with a damp cloth.
Dilute the white vinegar with water (50/50) and apply this mixture to stubborn stains using a clean cloth. Leave on for a few minutes, then wipe off with another damp cloth.
Use specific products to clean shoes
There are also products specially designed to clean white shoes:
- cleaning pens : These pens contain a cleaning solution in a convenient and easy-to-use format. Simply apply the product to the stains and gently rub in with the pen’s built-in brush.
- Cleansing wipes : Shoe cleaning wipes are handy for quick and easy cleaning. They can be used to remove surface dirt and stains.
- shoe cleaning kits : These kits usually contain a cleaning solution, a brush and a microfiber cloth to clean your shoes more thoroughly.
Regular maintenance of your white shoes
To keep your white shoes looking new, regular maintenance is recommended:
- Use a damp cloth to quickly wipe away smudges and dirt after each use.
- Store your shoes in a clean, dry place to prevent them from getting more dirty.
- Protect your shoes with a waterproofing spray or a specific product to protect against stains and water.
Treatment of stubborn stains on white shoes
Even with regular care, some stains can be particularly difficult to remove. Here are some tips for dealing with those stubborn stains:
Apply a mixture of white vinegar and water (50/50) to the stain using a clean cloth. Leave on for a few minutes, then scrub the area with a soft-bristled brush and rinse with water.
Dampen a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol and gently dab the ink stain. Remember to test the alcohol on an inconspicuous area first to make sure it doesn’t cause discoloration.
Mix lemon juice and salt to create a thick paste and apply it to the rust stain. Leave for 15-20 minutes, then scrub gently with a soft bristle brush and rinse with water.
By following these tips, your white shoes will look like new again and stay spotless for longer. Feel free to adapt the methods according to the materials of your shoes and consult the care instructions provided by the manufacturer.