In this article, we will explain how to use baking soda to effectively unclog your shower. This natural method is simple and economical.
The causes of a clogged shower problem
Before proceeding with unclogging, it is essential to understand the causes that can lead to a clog in your shower. Several reasons can cause this problem:
- Hair accumulating in the drain
- Soap or shower gel residue
- A pile of limestone
- An obstruction by an object that has accidentally fallen into the pipe
Whatever the cause, it is essential to act quickly to prevent the problem from getting worse.
Why use baking soda?
Baking soda is a natural product that has many benefits for unclogging a shower:
- It is eco-friendly and is not harmful to the environment
- It’s cheap and easy to get
- It dissolves grease and deeply cleans the pipes
- It neutralizes bad odors
The step-by-step method to unclog the shower with baking soda
Step 1: Prepare the ingredients and materials needed
For this method, you will need the following:
- Baking soda (about 100 g)
- Fine salt (about 100 g)
- White vinegar (about 200 ml)
- Boiling water (about 1 liter)
- A heat-resistant container
- A colander or hair strainer to remove solid waste
Step 2: Remove solid waste and clean the drain
Start by removing any solid waste that may be clogging the drain. For this, use a colander or a hair filter to catch hair and other visible residue.
Then remove the plug and clean it thoroughly. Also wash the inside walls of the shower to remove traces of soap or limescale.
Step 3: Pour the baking soda and salt mixture down the drain
Mix baking soda and fine salt in a container. Then pour this mixture directly into the clogged drain. Leave on for about 20 minutes. This mixture dissolves the grease present in the pipe and eliminates bad smells.
Step 4: Pour the white vinegar
After waiting 20 minutes, slowly pour the white vinegar down the drain. You will then hear a slight crackling, a sign that the chemical reaction between the baking soda and the vinegar is taking place. This reaction will create an effervescence which will help to loosen the residues accumulated in the pipe.
Step 5: Boil water
While the chemical reaction is taking place, bring about 1 liter of water to a boil. Use a heat-resistant container for easy transportation.
Step 6: Pour boiling water
Once the water is boiling, pour it slowly and carefully down the drain. This action will rinse the pipe and evacuate the waste dissolved by the mixture of baking soda, salt and vinegar.
The hot water will also relax the walls of the pipe and promote the passage of the remaining residues.
Alternative: use baking soda alone
If you don’t have salt or vinegar available, you can only use baking soda to unclog your shower:
- Pour 3 to 4 tablespoons of baking soda directly into the drain
- Leave on for 30 minutes
- Then pour a liter of boiling water to rinse the pipe
Note, however, that this method is less effective than using all the ingredients.
Prevention and regular maintenance
To avoid clogged shower problems, it is recommended to carry out regular maintenance of your pipes:
- Regularly clean the drain and remove accumulated hair
- Use a strainer or hair strainer to prevent solid waste from entering the drain
- Perform a preventive treatment with baking soda and white vinegar once a month
Thus, thanks to baking soda and these few tricks, you can easily unclog your shower without resorting to harmful chemicals for the environment.