The sofa is often the center of our living room, where we like to spend time with family or friends. It is therefore necessary to keep it clean and well maintained so that it retains its original appearance. In this article, we will see how to effectively clean a fabric sofa with the help of baking soda.
Why use baking soda?
Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonateis a natural chemical compound that has several benefits for cleaning your sofa:
- Economic : Baking soda is a cheap and easily available solution in most stores.
- Ecological : Unlike industrial chemicals, baking soda is non-toxic, biodegradable and environmentally friendly.
- Multifunction : Baking soda can be used to clean a variety of surfaces and materials, including textiles like those on your couch.
- Deodorant : In addition to removing stains, baking soda also neutralizes bad odors.
Materials needed to clean a fabric sofa with baking soda
Before you start cleaning, make sure you have the following items:
- Baking soda (in powder form)
- A vaporizer or sprayer
- A soft-bristled brush
- A clean, dry cloth
Steps to clean a fabric sofa with baking soda
1. Preparation of the sofa
First, remove the cushions, seats and any other accessories present on your sofa. Then vacuum all areas of the sofa to remove dust, crumbs and other debris.
2. Preparation of the cleaning solution
Mix one part baking soda with two parts warm water in a spray bottle. Shake the mixture well to dissolve the baking soda in the water. You can also add a few drops of essential oils to lightly scent the sofa.
3. Application of the cleaning solution
Spray the cleaning solution over the entire surface of the sofa, paying particular attention to stained areas. Let the solution sit for about 10 to 15 minutes so the baking soda can soak into the fibers of the fabric and remove the stains.
4. Brushing and wiping
With a soft-bristled brush, gently scrub treated areas to help loosen stains. Be careful not to press too hard to avoid damaging the fabric. Then use a clean, dry cloth to remove excess moisture and reveal the cleaning results.
Additional Tips for Cleaning a Fabric Couch with Baking Soda
- Always do a test first : Before applying the cleaning solution to the entire sofa, it is recommended to test its action on a small inconspicuous area to check that it does not cause discoloration or other damage.
- be patient : For more stubborn stains, it may be necessary to repeat the treatment several times before obtaining satisfactory results. Let the sofa dry completely between each application.
- Regular maintenance : Even if your sofa has no visible stains, vacuuming and applying the baking soda cleaning solution regularly will prevent bad odors and keep it looking like new.
By following these steps and tips, you can easily and effectively clean your fabric sofa with baking soda, without resorting to chemicals that are harmful to the environment or your health. Enjoy a clean and welcoming sofa in your living room now!