Flies are harmful insects that can be particularly annoying, especially during summer periods. Besides being unpleasant, they can also spread disease and contaminate food. Fortunately, there are several natural methods to keep flies away effectively without resorting to harmful chemicals. In this article, we are going to explore different solutions to get rid of flies using plants and natural ingredients.
Use repellent plants
There are certain plants that have the ability to repel flies with their scent. Indeed, these plants contain volatile chemical compounds that act as natural repellents against insects. Here are some examples of repellent plants:
- Basil : this aromatic plant is not only delicious in the kitchen, but it can also help keep flies away. Placing pots of basil near open windows or doors can help repel flies.
- Lavender : known for its pleasant and relaxing scent, lavender is also an excellent natural fly repellent. You can plant lavender around your house, or use lavender essential oil as a repellent spray.
- Mint: like basil, mint can be used both for cooking and to repel insects. Plant it near the entrances to your house or put a few mint leaves in a bag to keep flies away.
- Eucalyptus: this plant is famous for its medicinal properties, but it is also effective in repelling flies. Use dried eucalyptus leaves or eucalyptus essential oil to create a natural repellent.
- Geranium: these pretty flowers can help repel flies and other insects with their scent. Plant them around your patio or balcony to create a protective barrier against flies.
Make natural fly traps
Besides repellent plants, you can also make your own fly traps using natural, non-toxic ingredients. Here are some examples of homemade fly traps:
apple cider vinegar trap
Apple cider vinegar attracts flies with its sweet smell. To make this trap, pour apple cider vinegar into a container and add a few drops of dishwashing liquid. The soap will lower the surface tension of the vinegar, which will prevent flies from escaping once they have fallen into it.
Overripe fruits attract flies due to their sweet, fermented smell. To create a fruit trap, place pieces of overripe fruit (like bananas or apples) in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Then poke a few small holes in the film so the flies can get in but not get out.
Sugar and Water Trap
Another simple way to trap flies is to use a mixture of sugar and water. In a bowl, mix one tablespoon of sugar and one tablespoon of water, then add a few drops of dishwashing liquid. Place the bowl in an area where you have noticed the presence of flies and observe how they are attracted to the sweet mixture.
Maintain a clean and well-ventilated home
To avoid attracting flies and insects, it is essential to keep your home clean and well ventilated. Here are some tips to prevent the appearance of flies:
- Dispose of trash and stale food promptly, as they attract flies.
- Clean kitchen surfaces regularly to remove food residue and odors that can attract flies.
- Let in fresh air by opening windows and doors when possible, while using window screens to keep flies out.
- Make sure your trash cans are tightly closed and emptied regularly to prevent flies from breeding there.
By following these tips and implementing natural methods to keep flies away, you can enjoy a healthier and more pleasant environment without the need to resort to potentially harmful chemicals. Feel free to experiment with different repellent plants and homemade traps to find the best solution for your situation.