Pests are a real scourge for our interior, and it is often difficult to get rid of them without resorting to chemicals that are harmful to the environment and our health. However, did you know that a simple tea bag could help you solve this problem? In this article, we show you how to keep pests away from home with tea bags.
Why use pest control tea bags?
Tea bags contain natural compounds that repel many invasive pests and insects. Moreover, they are ecological, economic and easy to set up. So you will no longer need to buy expensive and potentially dangerous chemicals for your family and pets.
How to prepare tea bags to keep pests away?
The first step is to choose the right type of tea. Indeed, not all teas are effective against pests. The most recommended are:
- Black tea: rich in tannins, it notably repels ants and food moths.
- Green tea: its antiseptic and fungicidal properties make it an excellent ally against mold and certain insects such as flies.
- Mint tea: very effective against mosquitoes, it also gives off a pleasant smell that embellishes your interior.
Once the type of tea has been chosen, here’s how to do it:
- Steep the tea bags in hot water for about 5 minutes. This step extracts the active compounds from the tea.
- Let the bags cool until lukewarm, then wring them out to remove excess water.
- Put the slightly damp tea bags in a bottle or another airtight container and let them dry for a few hours or even a day.
Where should tea bags be placed to keep pests away?
It is crucial to choose the location of the tea bags carefully to maximize their effectiveness. Here are some tips to help you:
- Place the tea bags in strategic places: near doors, windows, sinks, garbage cans, cupboards, etc. This will create a natural barrier against pests looking to enter your home.
- Lay out several tea bags: the more sachets, the greater the repellent effect. Do not hesitate to put several in risk areas, such as the kitchen or the bathroom.
- Renew the sachets regularly: to maintain their effectiveness, change the sachets approximately every two months. You can also re-moisten the sachets with a few drops of water to revive their repellent properties.
Some additional tips to keep pests away
In addition to tea bags, here are some tips to help keep pests at bay:
- Keep your house clean and tidy: this avoids attracting pests that seek food and shelter.
- Regularly check the state of your foodstuffs: throw away those that are expired or infested by insects.
- Avoid leaving food lying around uncovered, and make sure your garbage cans are tightly closed.
- Seal cracks and holes that could provide passage for pests.
- Use chemical-free insect traps, such as sticky traps or pheromone traps.
Tea bags are a natural and economical solution to keeping pests away from home. By choosing the right type of tea and placing the bags strategically, you will create an effective barrier against invading pests and insects. Do not hesitate to complete this method with other tips to keep your interior healthy and free of pests.