In an increasingly environmentally conscious world, it is essential to find ecological and healthy alternatives to maintain our home. One of them concerns the cleaning of laundry, and more particularly the manufacture of natural stain removers. In this article, we will see how to make a natural laundry stain remover from simple and environmentally friendly ingredients.
The key ingredients for an effective natural stain remover
To prepare a homemade natural stain remover, you will only need a few easy-to-find ingredients:
- Water : it will be the base of your mixture. It is better to use lukewarm water to facilitate the dissolution of the other components.
- Lemon : this fruit is known for its antiseptic and whitening properties thanks to its acidity. It will remove stubborn stains and revive colors.
- sodium percarbonate : also called “solid hydrogen peroxide”, it is an excellent stain remover and whitener which also acts as a deodorant. It is non-toxic and biodegradable.
Preparing your natural laundry stain remover
Here are some simple steps to make your homemade stain remover:
- Preparation of the mixture : in a container, mix a tablespoon of percarbonate of soda with half a liter of lukewarm water. Then add the juice of one lemon and stir well.
- Application on stains : Apply the solution directly to the stains on the laundry to be treated. Leave on for about 15 minutes before scrubbing lightly with a clean toothbrush or soft cloth.
- Machine wash : place the previously untied laundry in the washing machine and add your usual detergent. You can also add a tablespoon of percarbonate of soda to boost the whitening and deodorizing action.
Variant for greasy stains
For greasy stains, you can substitute lemon with baking soda, which is also an excellent natural stain remover. To do this, follow these steps:
- Mix a tablespoon of percarbonate soda with a tablespoon of baking soda and a little warm water to form a thick paste.
- Apply this paste directly to the stain and leave on for 15 minutes.
- Rub lightly with a clean toothbrush or soft cloth before washing in the washing machine.
Tips and tricks for optimal natural stain removal
In order to optimize the use of your natural stain remover, here are some additional tips:
- Treat Stains Quickly : the faster you act on a stain, the easier it will be to make it disappear. Do not wait for the stain to become embedded in the fibers of the textile.
- Adapt the method according to the type of stain : some stains, such as those of red wine or blood, require specific treatments. Do not hesitate to look for tips adapted to each type of stain.
- Always test the stain remover on an inconspicuous part of the garment : this will verify that the colors are not altered by the product. If necessary, dilute the mixture further.
Precautions to take with sodium percarbonate
Sodium percarbonate is a natural product, but it can be irritating to skin and eyes. Be sure to handle this product with care:
- Wear gloves when handling baking soda.
- Avoid any contact with the eyes, and rinse abundantly with clear water in case of projection.
- Keep soda ash out of reach of children and pets.
Thus, making a natural stain remover for laundry is a simple and ecological approach that will allow you to effectively remove stains while respecting your skin, your clothes and the environment. Do not hesitate to share this tip around you to encourage the adoption of more sustainable practices in our daily lives.