Cooking chicken is a delicate art that requires some knowledge and tricks to master. In this article, we invite you to discover common mistakes to avoid as well as valuable tips for successful cooking of your poultry every time.
Mistakes to Avoid When Cooking Chicken
1. Neglecting the preparation of the chicken
It is not enough to take the chicken out of the refrigerator and put it in the oven to obtain perfect cooking. A good result starts with a good preparation. First of all, rinse the chicken under cold water then pat it dry with paper towel. Then, season it generously with salt, pepper and herbs of your choice. You can also slide butter or herbs between the skin and the flesh to give more flavor to the meat.
2. Bake the chicken directly in the oven
The secret to roast chicken that’s crispy on the outside and soft on the inside lies in the cooking technique. Rather than cooking the chicken directly in the oven, it is advisable to sear it quickly in the pan before putting it in the oven. This helps create a golden crust that will seal in all the moistness inside the chicken.
3. Forgetting to preheat the oven
Preheating the oven is a crucial step in successfully cooking chicken. Indeed, if you put your poultry in a cold oven, it will take longer to cook and may dry out. To avoid this, be sure to put the chicken in a preheated oven at the correct temperature.
4. Ignoring the size of the chicken
The cooking time depends in part on the size of the chicken. It is therefore important to adjust the cooking time according to the weight of the poultry. Count approximately 25 minutes of cooking per 500 grams of meat.
Tips for perfectly cooking chicken
1. Choose a chicken from quality
The first tip for successfully cooking chicken is to choose quality poultry. Opt for free-range or label rouge chicken, which guarantees tastier meat and better texture.
2. Use the right kitchen utensils
To cook your chicken, equip yourself with a roasting pan with grid and a cooking probe. The roasting pan will collect the drippings, while the grid will prevent the chicken from bathing in its own fat. The cooking probe, on the other hand, will help you check the internal temperature of the chicken to know if it is well cooked.
3. Baste the chicken regularly
To prevent your chicken from drying out during cooking, it is important towater regularly with its cooking juices. Use a tablespoon or a turkey baster to distribute the liquid over the entire surface of the meat. This step allows you to keep as much softness as possible and to pleasantly flavor the flesh.
4. Let the chicken rest after cooking
Once the chicken is cooked to perfection, let it rest on a cutting board for about ten minutes before serving. This resting time allows the juices to distribute evenly throughout the meat and to obtain an even more tender texture.
The perfect roast chicken recipe
Here is a quick and easy recipe for successful cooking of chicken every time:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Rinse the chicken under cold water then pat it dry with paper towel.
- Generously season the inside and outside of the chicken with salt, pepper and herbs of your choice.
- Place the chicken on a rack in a roasting tin and bake for about 25 minutes per 500 grams of meat.
- Baste the chicken regularly with its cooking juices using a tablespoon or a turkey baster.
- Check for doneness by inserting a cooking probe into the thickest part of the poultry. The temperature should reach 75°C.
- Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before carving and serving.
By following these tips and tricks, you are sure to successfully cook your chicken every time and delight the taste buds of your guests.