Have you been unlucky enough to sit on a piece of chewing gum or have one stick to your clothing? Do not panic ! Here is 4 very effective tips (according to our grandmothers) for remove a chewing gum without damaging your outfit that you love so much! Follow these few tips to find an impeccable and promised garment, you can start throwing your chewing gum anywhere again just for the fun of applying one of these tricks.
1. The freezer method
The first technique is to put the garment in the freezer for about 2 hours. This trick hardens the gum so that it peels off easily and effortlessly afterwards. To prevent the garment from getting wet, it is advisable to:
- Place the garment in an airtight plastic bag;
- Put the bag in the freezer for about 2 hours;
- Take the garment out of the freezer and quickly remove the chewing gum with a spatula or serrated knife;
- Wash the garment as usual to remove residual traces.
2. The paper towel trick
If your garment can’t be put in the freezer or if you’re in a hurry, you can try this quick method with paper towel. To do this :
- Place a piece of paper towel over chewing gum;
- Heat an iron and adjust the temperature according to the type of fabric (without steam);
- Pass the hot iron over the paper towel for a few seconds until the gum is transferred.
Note : This method may not be suitable for very delicate fabrics, always check your garment label before using the iron.
3. White vinegar to dissolve chewing gum
White vinegar is known for its cleaning and disinfecting properties. Its acidity also dissolves the glue present in the chewing gum. To use this trick:
- Soak a clean cloth with white vinegar;
- Apply the vinegar-soaked cloth directly to the chewing gum, pressing down firmly;
- Leave on for a few minutes;
- Gently scrape off the chewing gum with a spatula or serrated knife;
- Rinse the treated area with cold water and wash the garment as usual.
Use of other alcohol solutions
If you don’t have white vinegar on hand, you can also try this method with other alcoholic solutions, such as 70% alcohol or even nail polish remover (acetone). Be careful, however, to check that the fabric can withstand this type of treatment and to rinse well after application.
4. The heat and cold combination
By combining the freezer and iron methods, you increase your chances of successfully removing chewing gum stuck to your garment. For that :
- Place the garment in the freezer as explained previously (step 1);
- Take the garment out and use the paper towel and hot iron method (step 2).
This trick is especially effective if the gum has spread over a large area or is particularly difficult to peel off.
Now that you know these 4 tips for removing chewing gum stuck to clothing, you are ready to face any situation. Feel free to share these tips around you to help your loved ones protect their clothes from the inconvenience caused by chewing gum!