It’s often frustrating to see our clothes slip and fall off the hangers after we’ve carefully tidied our wardrobe. Fortunately, there are several simple and effective tips to avoid this inconvenience. In this article, you’ll find out how to keep your clothes securely in place on their hangers, whether they’re suspenders, blouses, sweaters, or t-shirts.
Choosing the Right Types of Hangers
For starters, choosing the type of hanger is key to ensuring your clothes stay hung up. Indeed, not all hangers are suitable for all types of clothing. Here are some tips for choosing the right hangers for your clothes:
- Plastic hangers: They are lightweight and economical, but may be less durable. They are ideal for lighter garments, such as t-shirts and shirts.
- Wooden hangers: Stronger and more durable, they are ideal for hanging heavier garments, such as coats, jackets and knitted sweaters.
- Velvet hangers: These hangers are lined with a soft material that prevents clothes from slipping. They are particularly suitable for delicate garments, such as blouses, dresses and silk items.
- Hangers with clips: Ideal for hanging trousers and skirts without damaging them or creasing them, they firmly hold the garment in place thanks to their adjustable clips.
DIY tip: personalize your hangers
If you do not want to invest in new hangers, it is also possible to customize the ones you already have to make them more practical and effective. Here are some customization ideas:
Wrapping tape or fabric around the top of your plastic or wooden hangers can help create a non-slip surface for your clothes. Choose materials that will cling slightly to the fabric of your clothes to prevent them from slipping.
The hangers covered with socks
Another simple trick is to pull an old sock over the top of your hanger. This method adds a non-slip texture to the surface of the hanger, while giving it new life to a used object.
Hangers with elastics
Tying rubber bands around the horizontal bar of the hanger can also help hold clothes in place. Be sure to choose rubber bands that are wide and strong enough that they won’t stretch over time.
Adopt the right hanging techniques
In addition to choosing or customizing your hangers, it is also crucial to hang your clothes correctly to prevent them from falling. Here are some tips for hanging different types of clothes properly:
- Straps: For dresses, blouses, and other garments with thin straps, be sure to place each strap over the shoulder of the hanger. You can also use a hanger with clips to hang these items by the waist.
- Sweaters: Sweaters and other knitwear can warp if hung incorrectly. Instead, fold them in half and lay them on a horizontal bar of the hanger, passing the sleeves behind the bar for better support.
- T shirts: To prevent t-shirts from slipping off plastic hangers, hang them by passing the bottom of the garment over the horizontal bar, then fold it over itself to create a loop that will hold the t-shirt in place .
The importance of space between hangers
Finally, remember that overloading your closet can also increase the likelihood of your clothes falling off the hangers. Take the time to properly organize and space your hangers to allow each item of clothing to have enough space to “breathe”. It will also make it easier to identify and select your clothes when choosing your daily outfit.
By applying these simple and practical tips, you are sure to keep your closet tidy and organized, without worrying about your precious clothes falling and crumpling on the floor.