Have you ever wondered why some housekeepers seem to have a knack for making your home sparkling and pleasant, while others can work for hours without getting the same results? The difference often lies in the tricks and techniques used by these cleaning professionals. One of these methods is the use of a natural and ecological ingredient: lemon. In this article, we’ll explore why experienced housekeepers put lemon on the broom and how this simple trick can make life easier.
Why use lemon in the household?
Lemon is a versatile fruit that has many beneficial cleansing properties. Here are a few reasons why it is so popular with housekeepers:
- Natural anti-bacterial : thanks to its high content of citric acid, lemon is able to kill a large number of bacteria and germs present on surfaces.
- Effective degreaser : the citric acid contained in lemon also helps to dissolve fats and oils, making surfaces easier to clean.
- Eliminates unpleasant odors : the fresh and pleasant scent of lemon helps neutralize bad smells, leaving a feeling of freshness throughout the house.
- Ecological : unlike the chemicals found in many household cleaners, lemon is a natural product that does not harm the environment.
Lemon on the broom: a simple trick to make cleaning easier
Now that we’ve explained why lemon is so useful for cleaning, let’s see how to use it with your broom to get even better results when cleaning:
Preparation of the broom
- First, make sure your broom is clean and free of dirt or dust. If necessary, run it under hot water and let it dry before you start.
- Next, cut a lemon in half and lightly squeeze one half to release some juice. You can also use a spray bottle containing lemon juice if you prefer.
- Then rub half the lemon (or spray the juice) on the bristles of the broom, making sure to coat them well. Leave on for a few minutes to allow the lemon to penetrate the fibers and act on bacteria and germs.
Using the broom
Once your broom is soaked in lemon, you can use it as usual to clean your floors and other surfaces. Here are some tips to optimize results:
- Alternate movements : For effective cleaning, alternate between short, rapid sweeping movements and longer, more intense movements. This will allow the lemon to act on different dirt and penetrate hard-to-reach areas.
- Change direction regularly : To avoid simply moving dirt and dust from one place to another, change direction frequently when sweeping. Do not hesitate to go over the same area several times to clean it well.
- Rinse the broom if necessary : if your broom gets too dirty or if it no longer picks up dust properly, rinse it under hot water before re-soaking it with lemon. You can also use a brush to remove the residue embedded in the fibers.
Other tips to take advantage of the benefits of lemon in the household
Lemon can be used in a variety of other ways to make cleaning easier and improve the cleanliness of your home:
- Dissolve lemon juice in water to create a multi-surface cleaning solution. You can use it on counters, mirrors, glass and many other surfaces.
- Rub half a lemon on faucets and shower heads to remove lime deposits and restore shine to chrome equipment.
- Use lemon to deodorize your refrigerator by placing a bowl of lemon juice inside or by rubbing the walls with a cloth soaked in this juice.
- Mix lemon juice with baking soda to create an abrasive slurry that can be used to clean oven racks, burnt-on pans and many other hard-to-clean items.
Lemon is a valuable ally for anyone looking to make their daily cleaning routine easier and improve the cleanliness of their home. Don’t hesitate to try this simple and effective trick of putting lemon on your broom – you will be surprised at the results obtained!