Have you ever heard of putting a ball of Aluminium foil in your dishwasher ? If not, you’re about to discover a trick that could revolutionize the way you wash your cutlery. In this article, we are going to explore why this method is used and share some useful tips to get the most out of this trick.
Why use aluminum foil in your dishwasher?
There are several reasons why you may be tempted to use aluminum foil in your dishwasher, here are a few:
- Reduce white marks on glasses and cutlery: Limescale deposits are often the cause of the white marks that form on your glasses and cutlery after going through the dishwasher. By using aluminum foil, the ions in the water can interact with those in the metal, helping to prevent these deposits and making your glasses sparkle.
- Save money and respect the environment : Using aluminum foil in your dishwasher replaces the need for regenerating salt and descaler. This saves money and reduces your impact on the environment.
- Improve performance of the dishwasher: Aluminum foil can help improve the overall performance of your appliance by preventing the formation of limescale, which can clog pipes and reduce their efficiency over time.
How to use aluminum foil in your dishwasher?
To enjoy the benefits of aluminum foil, all you need to do is follow a few simple steps:
- Cut a piece of aluminum foil : Take a sheet of aluminum foil and cut a piece about 30 cm in length.
- Make a ball with the aluminum foil : Crumple the piece of aluminum foil to form a ball slightly smaller than the size of a tennis ball.
- Place the foil ball in the dishwasher : When loading your dishwasher, place the ball of aluminum foil in the lower part of the appliance, near the cutlery basket. Make sure it does not block the spray arms or access to washing products.
- Run the wash cycle as usual : It is not necessary to modify the parameters of your usual washing cycle. The foil ball will do its job throughout the process.
- Replace the foil ball : The performance of the foil ball may decrease over time, so it is recommended to replace it regularly to ensure the best possible results. Once a month should be enough for most homes.
Additional Tips for Optimizing the Use of Aluminum Foil
Here are some additional tips that will help you get the most out of this trick:
Rinse dishes before loading them in the dishwasher
Although the dishwasher is designed to remove food residue, it is always best to give dishes a quick rinse before putting them in the appliance. This will prevent food from sticking to cutlery and plates, making the job of the dishwasher and foil more efficient.
Use a quality detergent
Choosing the right detergent is key to getting the best possible results when washing your dishes. Go for a reputable brand and follow the manufacturer’s instructions to properly dose the product.
Empty the dishwasher filter regularly
Your dishwasher’s filter is designed to collect food particles that break off during the wash cycle. To prevent these residues from reducing the performance of your appliance, it is important to empty and clean the filter at least once a month.
Try different foil ball sizes and locations
Depending on the size, make and model of your dishwasher, you may need to adjust the size of the foil ball or its location for best results. Feel free to experiment to find what works best for your specific situation.
By following these tips and incorporating a scoop of aluminum foil into your dishwashing routine, you’ll reap the benefits of this simple yet effective trick. Your cutlery and other utensils will shine like never before, and you’ll also save money and help the environment.